Thursday, February 01, 2007

I didn't know her personally

My friend Debbie organized a remembrance for Molly Ivins tonight.

Molly died yesterday of cancer. She was only 62 years old.

I didn't know Molly personally. I went to her house a few times... for her notorious final Friday parties and for a handful of fundraisers for liberal causes (Molly liked being a Liberal!). I didn't think her columns held effective answers to our problems, But I loved her wit, courage, example and heart.

I almost didn't go to the remembrance tonight. I drove by and there weren't that many people there. I had a vision of some news person asking me to comment on her passing--like I have any place doing that. But I went. I went because I have friends who knew her; friends I knew were devastated by her death.

I saw one friend -- a women I've known for almost 20 years, who grew up among Molly's crowd. She was heartbroken and there by herself. She thanked me for being there, hugging her, holding her hand and giving her kleenex.

I'm so glad I went.

Who will fill the void?

2 comments:

pineapple said...

some viods are too big to fill. it will take a lot of smartasses...

LesleyRamsey said...

no doubt.