Friday, February 02, 2007

Grief

I'm still thinking about my experience at Molly's vigil last night.

Genevieve looked like her soul was being sucked into a giant hole in her heart; like she was trying to hang on to the edge. Don't fall in, Gen!

I didn't walk up to her. I swooped in. Everyone was looking at her.

Look at her.

I wanted to hold her so she could fall into that hole a little bit. Molly was family to her... Molly was a real person in her life. More than a symbol. More than an inspiration. More than a party host.

Can she really fill up that hole with memories?

****

Betsy looked like she was in shock. Stunned. Lost. When does it really hit? What am I going to do?

****

Lisa's voice shook as she told storied of Molly's support during nightmarish legislative sessions. Bruce fought back tears and said with wonder, "we just keep losing our heroes." Elliott, recovering from his second heart surgery, came but didn't stay long. But he came.

****

In another part of my world, two of my work colleagues are waiting for a parent to die. Both have been told that death is imminent. They're in that process of waiting, taking turns with family members. Holding off the grief that is also imminent. That's gotta be the worst part... until worse parts come later.

No comments: