Sunday, August 13, 2006

More typing into the void

I surveyed my grrrlfriends for ideas on what to name my internet persona. Several of them asked me what did I want to do with this internet persona?

I didn't know. Comment on blogs. Maybe have my own blog. Express something. Recover my ability to complete a thought in writing. Hopefully something more than just learn how to make text bold and type ellipses... But I guess that can come in handy sometimes...

I'm new to the blogosphere. Frankly, I find that I get confused about how to use it, how to interpret what I read on it... it blurs my understanding of public and private. It adds layers of imaginary to the already symbolic process of externalizing words and pictures. That's clearly part of the attraction.

But, what's with all the anonymity out here in cyberspace?

What happens to the therapeutic value of self-expression and self-exploration through journalling when it's conducted in the semi-public format of a semi-anonymous blog?

What does it do to a person's ability (or even inclination) to communicate directly?

Semi-public indirect communication, introspection of semi-anonymous authors...

Again, I come back to the problem of samsara and the gaping holes in my knowledge "my" own reality...

The mountain is there
And then it isn't
And then it is again

No comments: