Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Keeping the metaphor going... and going... meandering blog post

Yesterday I went to a yoga class. As we were beginning the class, and I closed my eyes and began to focus on my breath, I realized how in just a few days, I had gotten so far away from the practice. It is a practice... and it's the process of returning to it that establishes the contrast for waking up.

It was a good feeling. I must be getting closer to some truth. In recent times, I would probably have felt guilty and started telling myself that I should have been doing this every day, scolding myself for not practicing, and making pledges to myself that I would start again now, or tomorrow. But that doesn't really work. That's the kind of intention I always rebel against. And so... it doesn't happen. And the cycle repeats.

Yesterday this didn't happen. Instead, it felt like a release. It was refreshing and I was thankful for it.

And then I realized how I'd been neglecting my garden. What with trips to Vegas and El Paso and electricians and tree guys and plumbers and swarming mosquitos, I hadn't been paying attention to my little plants. I hadn't watered in a week. I've check on the zucchini, but, I've missed other developments. I missed the fact that my peas have pods, but the leaves are getting eaten by something and look all gray. I hadn't noticed that the banana pepper has a second pepper, or that the eggplant has two beautiful, purple fruits and a new flower about to bloom. The corn has silk!

So today, I got up and watered. And then I noticed... the weeds.

Crap! You literally can't just water the seeds of things you want to grow... somehow you also inadvertently water the weeds.

SO, now I know I'm going to need to spend some time out there pulling the weeds... because they are sucking the good stuff from the plants I want to grow. But I know it. They aren't going to take me by surprise. I guess that's the key.

2 comments:

Enrique said...

be grateful for the weeds, because eventually they will enrich your practice...

Enrique said...
This comment has been removed by the author.