Thursday, January 04, 2007

There are no new ideas... but they're not all bad

Colette Brooks took my idea... I'll share it here (because not being lazy was not a resolution!)

01.02.2007
In 2007 You Are as Good as Your Word

I'm not big on New Year's resolutions, never have been. Except for resolving to shed the few pounds I gain as soon as the ocean temp drops enough to dictate a winter wetsuit. Okay, that hardly constitutes a resolution. Resolutions are steeped in firmness of purpose not firmness of buttocks.

A girlfriend of mine recently told me that this year she has decided to embrace "a word" rather than a series of commitments or goals.

Now that's something I can honestly get behind - not just for its simplicity, but much like interpretive dance, it provides ample wiggle room to screw up without feeling like a big loser.

On that note, my word for 2007 is consciousness.

****

I was going more for awareness, but I like consciousness, too. Awareness feels more intense to me. What I'm going for is more like what Geena Davis was expressing in "Thelma and Louise" when she said "I feel AWAKE."


On New Year's Day I took part in a ritual yoga practice: 108 sun salutations followed by yoga nidra practice. 108 sun salutations took about three hours. It was physically and emotionally challenging. As a moving meditation, I watched my mind go from a sort of agitated state in the beginning, to an awareness that I was no longer agitated, to empty, to surrendered to my intention to finish 108 sun salutations.

I did them all.

I felt like every cell in my body was AWAKE, conscious.

I've been sore for three days now, but it was worth it. And that's what I want to try to remember going into this year.

A little effort is required, in fact. You can't actually be lazy AND conscious.

So... there you go.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

All I want to do this year is get rid of my stacks of papers...

LesleyRamsey said...

A worthy goal. and it's good for goals to be achievable. Good luck, Pineapple!

Mamacher said...

In light of the passing Molly Ivens and per Pineapple's comment that we need more smartasses to fill the void, I think that smartass will be my word to embrace

Mamacher said...

Oops, spell check was off misspell of the great lady - Ivins...

LesleyRamsey said...

u b thebest snartass

(how's that for good speling?)_